Thursday 1 December 2011

Homemade Baileys


1. December

I read on a Lactofree post on facebook, where Lactofree asked "what are you missing most after finding out you where lactose intolerant", and was a bit surprised that almost every other person seemed to answer Baileys.
So I though what better way to start off my Christmas advent calendar than a homemade recipe for Baileys.


Makes about 750ml

500ml Lactofree whole milk
125g sugar
½ teaspoon salt
15g dark dairy free chocolate
250ml Lactofree cream
2 teaspoons instant coffee powder
1 teaspoon vanilla
250-300ml Whisky (depending on how strong you like it).

Add the milk, sugar and salt in a pan and slowly bring to a boil while stirring. when reaching the boiling point, turn down the heat and cook for about 25-30 minutes, stirring every few minutes. you are looking for a consistency where it is a bit thicker than cream, and when it just seems to coat the spoon. Take the pan off the heat and add the chocolate, and stir until it is completely melted and incorporated in the milk. Let it cool completely in the fridge (it will thicken up a lot more when cooled).
In a bowl add the milk mixture (as made above) and cream, and whisk it together for a few minutes with a hand whisk until it thickens a bit.
Ad the other ingredients and whisk until the instant coffee powder has dissolved and the consistency is thick and creamy like Baileys.
Run the mixture through a sieve and bottle. store in the fridge. It will keep for about 1-2 weeks, but give it a good shake before serving.

Enjoy and Merry Christmas

Please sign up and leave me a message, that would make my day.

9 comments:

  1. I was one of those people :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay! thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just tried this yesterday and .. oh my. Thanks! It was delicious! I skipped a lot of steps but it still worked

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've used this recipe for the past 3 Christmases, and it's an absolute hit every year. A couple changes I make:

    -My grocery store doesn't carry lactose-free whole milk, but I've found 3.5% homo milk substitutes just fine.
    -I use regular semi-sweet chocolate chips (my lactose-intolerant friends can all handle regular chocolate in reasonable quantities), and find it helps them dissolving if you add them before taking it off heat. I also add the instant coffee at this time to make sure it dissolves; I've never found I need to run the final product through a sieve.
    -This year I used vanilla whiskey -- highly recommend it, if you can find some!

    Thanks for such a great recipe, my friends beg for it every Christmas :) This year my boyfriend added some to his coffee with a bit of peppermint and it was magical.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, What a Excellent post. I really found this to much informatics. It is what i was searching for.I would like to suggest you that please keep sharing such type of info.Thanks View more

    ReplyDelete
  7. Acknowledges for paper such a beneficial composition, I stumbled beside your blog besides decipher a limited announce. I want your technique of inscription... Best Large Air Fryers

    ReplyDelete