Tuesday 10 May 2011

Make your butter and eat it too


I was so excited when I heard that Lactofree was bringing out a lactofree cream, and the first idea I had was to see if I could make butter with it, which would mean I would get two of the products I have been missing for so long, and do you know what……. IT WORKED.

Besides not being very difficult to make and only taking about 15 min all in all, it taste amazing as well.

I started out with 125ml to begin with, just to see if it would work and it made 55g of butter, and not to forget ¼ cup of buttermilk to use in baking.

All you need is:
Lactofree cream
a jar with a air tight lid
Salt (if you want to make salted butter)

Fill a jar halfway with cream and screw the lid tight on.

Shake the jar up and down until the cream thickens and begins to stick together, don’t get distressed if you feel like it is stuck on the sides and not moving, just keep shaking and eventually it will start to come off the sides and start splitting. When it has started separating into butter and buttermilk, shake for a minute or two more till you get more of one firm ball shaking inside the jar.

Open the lid and drain the liquid into another container, this is buttermilk and can be used for cooking.

Knead the butter under cold water and changing the water a few times till you get clear water, this will insure the butter will not spoil as quickly. Let it rest in a sieve for a few minutes to let access water drain off.

Knead in salt if needed, I used 1/16 teaspoon salt to 125ml cream, but ad a little at a time till you get the taste you want.

Refrigerate and enjoy.

A video I found useful, click here to see
And a video that can be useful if making a bigger batch, click here to see.


If you are finding my blog useful, please sign up and show your support.

2 comments: